Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Case of the Missing Climate Science

Me


Hi GEEKs readers! This is GEEKs cofounder Katie M-T, here with a thrilling account of drama, mystery and hope from the world of high school environmental education.

My Generation's Climate Science Education
My freshman year of high school started out with a bang when my Human Geography class featured several readings from "experts" who argued that climate change was not real. Our class learned that the existence of climate change
was still a controversial topic among scientists in 2009. I've been outraged, and on the lookout for similar situations, ever since.

Peer-reviewed climate articles
from 1991 to 2012- the red
line is the 24 that reject
climate change
My vigilance paid off recently in my senior year, when I got curious about a friend's Wildlife Biology class and asked him what they learned about climate science. He said that his class had split into groups to read articles either supporting or refuting the theory of climate change, then presented facts from each of the articles to the whole class. Each student had written a paragraph on their own feelings about the theory's legitimacy. My friend and his group had read one of the articles that refuted the climate change theory, and this experience in science class had helped him decide that climate change was probably a hoax. Confused by my look of horror, he was happy to hand me his copy of the offending article. Which leads me to a segment I call...

I Can't Believe They Read This in a Science Class
The article provided to my friend and his classmates to read was called "Sorry Global Warming Alarmists, the Earth is Cooling" by Peter Ferrara. Ferrara is a senior fellow for


Peter Ferrara
entitlement and budget policy (not climate science!) at the Heartland Institute, a group the Economist calls
"The world's most prominent think tank promoting skepticism about man-made climate change". You can
read more about the Heartland Institute and its self-described "ambitious program of research and educational projects in defence of free-market environmentalism" on its website here.

But first, read the article presented to my friend's science class as a legitimate source of information in a controversial scientific debate on climate change: 
ARTICLE <--- Please click this link!

I Understand That You Might Not Have Time to Read the Whole Article
So here are some of my favorite highlights:
-"global temperatures have already been declining for more than 10 years, and global temperatures will
The article suggests that
climate change will not be an issue
because sunspots like these are linked
to global cooling.
continue to decline for another two decades or more."
-Low sunspot activity has historically caused cooling periods, and since we now have low sunspot activity, we should actually be worried about how cold it's going to get.
-"All I ever see from the global warming alarmists... is political public relations, personal attacks, ad hominem arguments, and name calling, combined with admissions that they can't defend their views in public debate."

Damage Control
Seeing my friend's heavily underlined copy of this article, and hearing his astonishment at the idea that believe in climate change despite all this evidence against it, I felt disappointed with my school system. It's no wonder that we move so slowly on
This kid from the Lorax also wishes
his school had better Enviro Ed.
terrifying environmental issues when my school is teaching my friends that climate change is not real. 
I spent the next few days frantically researching ways to prove climate science to my Heartland-brainwashed friend, and this NASA website did partially convince him that climate scientists have a legitimate point.

I reported the issue to the incredibly supportive teacher in charge of a lot of my school's science curriculum. She brought up the problem right away with the other science teachers, and gave me the helpful information that a long-term substitute teacher had delivered the offending lesson. Since the usual Wildlife Biology teacher is apparently a hardcore climate science believer, the original lesson plan was probably a discussion of bias and
credibility in the science articles the class read- so this situation might not be as bad as it looks at face value.
However, the fact that we even once let true climate science slip through the cracks- especially in an incredibly liberal school district like mine- is still a symptom of a very, very flawed system.

Redemption?
Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better-
it's not.

Note the question mark. I put it there because the last-minute semi-happy ending at my school doesn't really
solve the problem. Our problems with environmental education won't be fixed until we all start paying attention to whose facts our communities' students are underlining in their "science"
articles. We have to notice when climate change is mysteriously absent, or shows up as a controversial topic of debate, in our science classes. We have to make sure that our communities' teachers don't need to fight to sneak environmental education into their classes. We're already standing up to the biggest powers in our Capitol buildings and around the world, fighting massive battles- pipelines, renewable energy standards, pollution controls, the entire fossil fuel industry. It's time that we start fighting the underhyped, underrated, and infinitely important battle for real environmental education.
My classmates and I are counting on it.

Thanks for reading! Have something to say about environmental education in your school or community? Send us an email at get.geeky28@gmail.com, or check out our Facebook page. If you want to spread this message, be sure to click under "Share This!" on the sidebar!


8 comments:

  1. Well said, Katie! The world of climate science is so muddied by "skeptics" who often are less "skeptical" and more "unwilling to question their own beliefs".

    I came to be convinced of climate change by a healthy dose of skepticism of my own understanding of the subject. I went looking for more information. I weighed the various arguments and data. I listened to the stories.

    I wish climate change skeptics would be "authentically skeptical" and question even their own beliefs. If you watch these folks funded by Big Oil and the fossil fuel industry (like the Heartland Institute) "authentic skepticism" is not a part of the process - it's all one-sided combative debate. No dialogue.

    Keep writing,

    John Smith
    Education Program Assistant
    Will Steger Foundation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your feedback! I completely agree with your point about being "authentically skeptical". I wish more people could understand that the belief in climate change doesn't come from liberal brainwashing- that like you said, you can be convinced of climate change simply by doing enough research.
      I really appreciate your support!

      -Katie M-T

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Katie, for your determined efforts to improve science education.

    I've followed climate science, and helped interpret it to the public, for over 25 years. I like to say that a major difference between me and a climate-change skeptic (or denier) is that he wants me to be wrong, and I want him to be right. I'd much rather _not_ be right about something that threatens human civilization as we know it. But I know what the science says, I know that more than 97 percent of credentialed climatologists now accept that climate shift is in progress and that we humans are in all probability the cause, and I know that we are already seeing negative effects in nature that have been predicted for years by the best climate models. In fact, some of those changes -- such as the speed of ice loss in the Arctic -- are happening even faster than predicted by most models.

    My wife and I insure our home, even though the chances that it will ever burn down are relatively slim. Why on earth wouldn't we all choose to insure our planet when 97 percent of the best climate scientists are telling us it's at risk of radical overheating? And our home insurance payments don't earn us any payback unless we have a fire, whereas our collective human investments in renewable energy and energy efficiency will earn us an enormous payback over time -- whatever happens to the climate. With wind and solar (we have solar PV on our home), the fuel is free... forever.

    Please carry on your good work.

    All the best,

    Christopher Childs
    Author, _The Spirit's Terrain: Creatiivity, Activism, and Transformation_
    National Speaker emeritus, Greenpeace U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a postscript: in case you haven't seen it, there's an encouraging piece about climate science gaining traction in America's classrooms on the Inside Climate News site. I tried inserting the URL below, but it didn't appear when previewed; however, you can just go to the homepage at insideclimatenews.org -- at this writing, the article is featured and there's a direct link to it. Or, just search on "classrooms" and you'll find it.

      -- Christopher

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your feedback- I really appreciate it! The insurance analogy is very understandable and I'll be sure to use it sometime.

      Thanks also for sharing the article you mentioned in your comment. It's very uplifting and I'm so happy to see that so many states support these new standards. I look forward to following that story, especially with the big issue of Texas and other states that refuse these standards. I'm hopeful that whatever new standards get put in place will finally remove from our schools the idea that climate science is a scientific debate.

      -Katie M-T

      Delete
  3. This is incredibly disturbing. Honestly makes me just want to cry. The interesting thing to consider though, is that unlike climate, we could actually turn this around in a year or two. Do you think it is starting to happen?

    Want to write some solution stories for MN350 movement stories page?

    Julia Nerbonne
    julia@mn350.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! To me, environmental education problems seem like both a huge frustration and an opportunity for progress because they look so comparatively simple to fix.

    I think positive changes are starting to happen because of some amazing teachers. But the curriculum at my school is definitely nowhere near reflecting how important climate change is, the scientific consensus, or the big changes in public opinion about it. This is especially unnerving because I live in such a liberal district- I imagine things are much worse for climate education in more conservative areas.

    There is some awesome work going on and I would love to write solution stories about it!

    -Katie M-T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article. Enjoyed reading this. It is our responsibility to keep our climate in the balance.
    Best Courses for Animation in Pune

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments, or stories? Let us know here!